Using your SIM card from home or from any other NON-Austrian phone company is extremely expensive and will result in a very unpleasant surprise when you’re receiving the phone bill. Get an Austrian SIM card as quickly as possible!
We have included an Austrian SIM card in our welcome package. Sign up at the upper right corner of this page if you want to get one, completely free of charge. Make sure to send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org when you order your welcome package, saying that you'd like us to include your free sim, and we'll make sure to send it to you straight away!
Especially in the first couple of weeks, a cheap pre-paid phone or SIM card to call your family and friends will be useful. Even with an Austrian SIM card, international calls can be quite expensive, but don’t worry! We have partnered up with Eety because they can offer you the cheapest rates for international calls. Check out their tariffs for your country HERE.
In the long term, however, you might want to consider getting a cell phone contract (with even better prices). You can find more information about cellphone contracts HERE.
Austrian country code is: 0043
Area code for Viennese landline numbers is: 01
code for mobile phones: 0664, 0650, 0676, 06991, 0677, etc.
calling a Viennese landline: 0043 1 535…..
calling an Austrian mobile phone: 0043 650 44…
Save the numbers in your phone with the corect code, so that you’ll never be mistaken!
In case of an emergency, call:
Euro- Emergency 112
Police - Emergency 133
Fire - Emergency 122
Ambulance - Emergency 144
If you are sick and need help, call:
Help line 142
Emergency service for poisoning 01 / 406 43 43
if your car breaks down, call:
● Generally you do not need an ID-card or any other document to buy a prepaid
○ However, some providers offer monthly plans, which are normally even more cost efficient, if you register with a valid ID and an Austrian bank account (get your
free-of-charge bank account here).
○ All prepaid cards are anonymous, unless you register your number.
● Usually the SIMcard does not need to be activated. You can simply put it in your mobile phone and start talking. Topups can be bought in all supermarkets, post offices, tobacco shops, ATMs, at one of over 100 E-money universal payment machines or simply online. Mostly the activation code is just printed on a receipt.
● Cellphone Plans may distinguish between
○ landline phone calls,
○ cellular calls with the same operator,
○ cellular calls for other operators, and
○ specialpriced numbers.
● Each operator has a default prefix but numbers can be ported to other
The telephone market is constantly changing and new pre-paid or post-paid plans are introduced on a monthly basis.
In general, calls within the same mobile network are very cheap, sometimes even free depending on your contract.
If you choose for instance the FLH partner, you only have to pay 15€ and are able to call within Austria for free.For additional €4/month you get mobile internet access.At big electronic retailers, like Media Markt, all providers in Austria are represented. The staff will be able to give you up to date information about all tariff plans.